Friday, January 13, 2012

Foodie Friday ~ 1/13/12

Ahhhhh, Happy Friday the 13th! 

I haven't tried anything too creative this week.  I spent the week working on coming up with creative "make ahead" healthy meal solutions.  Since my semester break is winding down, next week I'll be back to being busy and studying non-stop, while still trying to get my runs and workouts in and try to keep healthy meals on hand.  Here are a few of the make ahead things I came up with:

Breakfasts:
Baked egg cups ~  18 pack of eggs, 2 cups of shredded cheese, and canadian bacon.  Scramble eggs and pour into greased muffin tins (I stress the greasing.  I forgot to grease 1 muffin cup and I still can't get all the egg out!)  Push a piece of canadian bacon into each cup, then top with a small sprinkle of cheese, add a small amount of pepper if you wish.  Bake at 350 until the eggs are firm.
Why I love this:  I don't eat a lot of eggs, but my husband LOVES this in the mornings.  He doesn't have a lot of time, so having them pre-made is fantastic.  He just pops them into the microwave and they re-heat really well.  This week, I'll be taking some of the egg yolk out and doing more egg whites to make it a bit healthier for him and maybe adding some veggies!

Lunches:
I'm still stumped on lunches.  I will probably make sure that I pre-cook chicken breast for salads and have tuna at the ready for flat bread sandwiches.  If I come up with anything super great, easy and healthy...I'll be sure to post it!

Dinners:
Spinach stuffed chicken ~  this was good, I pounded out chicken breast and added some shredded cheese and spinach (along with a bit of seasoning)  into the middle of the chicken and rolled it up.  Baked it at 375 until chicken was no longer pink.  It was good!

Snacks:
Snacks are where I have been having trouble.  I need to come up with some better snack options.  I need some easy take along ideas, that I can stick into my bag and keep there!  My go to snack has been apples and peanut butter...but honestly, I've been over-doing the peanut butter and I know it.  Really not that healthy of an option when you eat a million tablespoons at one sitting!
But I love sweet snacks, so I am looking for something that will give me a bit of sweet, without over doing it!  So here is what I have come up with:
Fruit (plain, no PB :( )
Mixed nuts with a small ration of M&Ms
Homemade granola with raisins (1/3 cup PB, 1/3 cup honey, 3 cups oats - melt PB and honey together, add oats, bake at 350 for 10 minutes)

I will be adding to this list as time goes by...I need to come up with a great snack list, so I don't stray and go to the "bad" options!

I hope everyone has a great Friday the 13th!

No comments:

Post a Comment