Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012 Goals

Ah, the time is here.  Time for resolutions.  Which I make religiously every year.  And many of them stick.  Usually.  But not always.  Some years are much better than others.


The time for self doubt went out in the trash with the crumpled wrapping paper, torn gift boxes and leftover platters of cookies.  That's right, there were cookies left over this year, they may have been the icky ones that no one liked, but it's still a start.  My motto used to be "leave no cookie left uneaten."  But not anymore!  Anyhoo, back to resolutions.

I am relatively good at resolutions.  Each year I set normal expectations and goals for myself during the year.  I don't come up with wild fantastical dreams that are unachievable.  And not to pat myself on the back, but I am still keeping resolutions from the early 2000's.  Some have been life changing.  The decision to start running was a resolution of 2008, I believe.  Then there was the resolution to not set foot into a Wal-mart store.  That was in 2005, I think.  And I have not been in a Wal-mart since....not once.  So obviously, I can adjust to new resolutions and a new way of thinking, I just have to be committed.  Of course, there have been failed resolutions.  Many years I make insane claims like, I need to give up caffeine or coffee.  Did I seriously believe, for even a second, that I would give up coffee?  I once put on my resolution goal list, that I would cook every meal at home for a whole year.  Seriously?  Who has time for that? 

This year is probably the busiest I have ever been in my life.  Our boys are in grade school and have their own agendas with football, baseball, school and their own lives.  My husband is busy with his own fitness revolution, his work and his band.  Even the dog demands my attention daily.  He will sit and bark in my face until I give him a good head scratch.  And if you have ever had a Mastiff sit and bark in your face (I literally mean in your face, when I sit on the couch and he sits on the floor we are eye to eye)...it's kinda hard to ignore!  Now, add all the Wife and Mom duties on top of being a full time student, and working two clinical days at the hospital each week, this year is gonna be a tough one to add extra stuff into.  But I'm sure I'll be able to handle it (famous last words right there...ear mark 'em for my tombstone later when I've exhausted myself).

I hate to use the term "bucket" list, but that is almost what my resolution lists are turning into.  I realize each year, that I am getting older and that someday I won't have the physical strength or energy to do all these things I want to do.  So I'd better get my fat butt moving and start crossing finish lines and crossing these things off.  There isn't a huge hurry, but I have lots of things I want to do...so I might as well start doing them.  What am I waiting around for?

So here is the OFFICIAL goal list for 2012 in all it's crazy glory!
1.  Run the 2012 Chicago Marathon.  http://www.chicagomarathon.com/cms400min/chicago_marathon/
2.  Take the Chicago Polar Plunge (If I can find a crazy buddy to do it with). http://www.sochicago.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=31&Itemid=25
3.  Do a mud run with my husband - or without him, but I think I have him excited about it.  http://www.downanddirtymudrun.com/
4. To be able to do 25 push ups.
5.  Run 1000 miles in 2012
6.  Do the Color Run in June.  http://thecolorrun.com/
7.  Get down to the my goal weight of 140 pounds (long way to go).
8.  Try at least one new healthy recipe every week.
9.  Find the good in everything.
10. Be optimistic in every situation.

And I think that is it.  Some are very specific and some are pretty general.  The last two are just reminders to myself to be positive and happy.  It's pretty much on my list every year, but it works.  Periodically throughout the year, I will come back to my list and just take a peek at it...so it is nice to have those reminders.

Good luck to all the other resolutioners out there.  I wish you all the best in getting past January with your resolutions!  You can all do it (see, how I'm being optimistic there!).

Happy New Year everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment