Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Finally seeing some progress!

While my weight hasn't dropped much in the past few months, I am finally seeing some progress with my runs.  I am getting faster.  9:30 - 10:00 minute miles have always been pretty standard for me when running 3-6 miles, but I am finally starting to see some improvements.

I'm not currently following a plan, because it always seems that when I do, I get stuck in a rut and I might add mileage, but I don't ever get any faster because I am so concentrated on distance.  So this winter, I decided to run fewer miles but work on the quality of them and that is what I have been doing.  Some days I only run a mile, some days I run 3 miles...but the point is to push my speed more than I am used to.  I've been trying to get my single miles as close to 8:00 minutes/mile as I can and I am working to get my 3 mile runs as close to 9:00 minutes/mile as a I can and it is working.

This morning I ran 3 miles and averaged around 9:10 per mile for a total of 27:30.  I am pretty sure that this is my fastest 3 miles yet!  I am looking forward to some spring 5K's to see if my hard work will pay off or not.  I planning on running the Neighbor's House 5K in April, and this is where I PR'd last year with 28:35...so I definately think I am on the right track to blow that PR out of the water!  This 5K will also set my training times for my marathon training. 

I think I have decided on the Furman method for my marathon training.  It is what I used when I trained for my half marathon last year and it worked pretty well.  Only 3 runs per week, 2 short speed runs and 1 long run.  I am pretty sure I can fit that into my schedule without any problems.  I am going to do my best to get the cross training in, but we shall see!


Wednesday's Motiation:
"Find Motivation in Every Mile!"

1 comment:

  1. Neighbors would be a great 5K to test the speed! The weather was sorta icky last year too. The course is fairly flat and some even down hill as I remember. My runs were getting fast, but then I added more miles and back to back days. So they have plateaued. BUT I'm just worried about the pain issue right now, so I'm not pushing it either!

    ReplyDelete