Monday, February 13, 2012

Plugged-in or Unplugged - Music vs. Quiet Reflection on Runs

I am definately a plugged-in runner.  I run with headphones 99% of the time.  For me, that is part of the joy of running.  As a mom, the kids are forever taking over the radio at home and even in the car.  So when I run, it's just me and my music.  It is one hour where I can control what music makes the playlist and what doesn't. (Which means I don't have to endure another endless go round with Eye of the Tiger).
I also think that good music (and by good music, I mean whatever motivates you) can help you through those long runs.  Running is 90% mental.  When your body gets tired, it is your brain that gets you through those last  few miles and I think the right music can really help get you through! 

Personally, I like pop music with a good beat.  Funny, because the music on my playlist is music that I wouldn't listen to outside of the gym.  I'm not a fan of pop...but when I'm running, it does amazing things for my energy levels!  But it isn't just the beat, sometimes it can be the lyrics too.  Some of my favorite running songs talk about...what else?  RUNNING! While I always have a pretty current version of my running playlist on the left side of this page, I thought I would share some of my favorites today and why I love them so much!

Send Me on My Way, Rusted Root

There is just something about this song.  It can pop up on my playlist at the end of a long run, and I still feel like skipping along when I hear it.  It instantly puts a smile on my face...and it doesn't hurt that within the lyrics, he is reminding me to run!

The Dog Days are Over, Florence & The Machine
Again, this is one that I just can't help to rock out to when I'm running.  It is a little slow at parts, so I do tend to slow down when this song is on...but that isn't a bad thing!  And, there is something about hearing the words run in the lyrics...it just reminds you to keep going!


And my newest favorite:
Stonger, Kelly Clarkson

Holy Cow, do I love this song!  I am not a huge Kelly Clarkson fan, but this is the best running song I've come across in a long time.  Again, I know running music is subjective...but for me, this song has everything.  It has a fantastic beat, and the lyrics are pretty uplifting when you are sweating so much you think you may drown!  My only problem is that I am afraid I'm going to belt out in song on the treadmill when the chorus comes along or break into a dance (anyone seen the car commerical where she is dancing in the front seat...yeah, imagine that but on a treadmill...that is what I'm doing in my head when I hear it) I love the chorus "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, stand a little taller, it doesn't mean I'm lonely, when I'm alone."  I realize that she is asserting her independence, but for me, it translates a bit differently.  It's a reminder that the getting through the long run won't kill me...it will make me stronger...stand a little taller reminds me to keep my good running form...and I LOVE running alone, I don't see it as lonely, it's my time to reflect and be with myself!

So, there are a few of my favorite running songs!  I'd love to hear yours in the comments below!

***Edited***  So I realized that I forgot to mention the sometimes importance of running unplugged.  Sometimes, I find that a run is more enjoyable without music (although, for me that is rare).  And I do have to mention, that last year at a 5K in which I PR'd, I left my garmin at home and had a battery snaffu with my headphones.  So I ran completely unplugged and since the majority of the 5K ran the length of a local nature trail, it was a really great experience.  I was able to concentrate on what my body was telling me rather than just running to the beat of the music, and just really enjoy the nature (although...with all the people, there was no wildlife scampering about, other than those in sweaty tank tops and running shoes).  So I think that sometimes, music can really help you pound out those miles while other times it can be a distraction and we just need to make the decision for ourselves before our run.  Plug in or unplug...everyday it's different!

Monday Motivation:
"Make it to the finish line. You can do this!"

A little reminder before Valentine's day to always run with your heart!


No comments:

Post a Comment