Saturday, December 31, 2011

Food Friday 12/30/2011

Well, I guess I am a day late and a dollar short here today! I meant to get this posted yesterday and was completely sidetracked with spending the day with the kids!  It was their last day of winter vacation, so we hit up the aquarium and had a great day! 

With the kids being home this week, and the all the holiday hulabaloo, it was a tough eating week.  So my eating was crazy sporadic, although I did well, I did have my moments.  I wish I could have gotten the gym every day, but that just wasn't happening with the kids home, so I did my best.  No weight loss this week, but it will come! (After I splurge on New Year's Eve, of course...but I will be hitting the gym for a workout before all the splurging).

As I said, my week in food wasn't all that awesome, but here were the highlight recipes:

Breakfast:
Green Smoothie
1 banana
1/2 cup plain chobani yogurt
small dash of milk
1 TBS flax seed
2-3 handfuls of spinach
Throw it all together and throw in a blender.
Why I love this:  It is so easy!  It is meant to be a "base" smoothie.  Meaning you can then go in and add other fruits to it to flavor it, but I really like it the way it is, I enjoy the banana flavor to it.  For some reason, this is a great pre-run smoothie.  It gives me tons of energy before  a long run, which I love!  If I drink this post workout, I have been thinking about tossing a scoop of chocolate peanut butter protien into it.  I think it would go nicely with bananas.  (And I have to admit...I am already tired of salads, so I am using this to replace some of my daily salads!)

Lunch:
Fruity Oatmeal:
1/2 cup quick oats
1 cup water
dash of milk
1 TBS flax seed
small handful of slivered almonds
fruit of choice
Make oatmeal as directed on package and add fruit.
Why I love this:  Some days I just crave carbs!  And if I leave that craving unchecked, I'll go off the deep end and eat (gasp...) Wonderbread or something equally as horrible.  This works great to stave off the carb cravings...since it is a carb.  But it is a friendly carb, right?  Anyhoo, I love being able to interchange the fruits depending on what sounds good.  Some days, I'll also add cinammon, if I have a fruit that pairs well with it.  Some options for adding are chopped apples, bananas, raisins, any dried fruits (as long as they don't contain added sugar).

Dinner:
Portabella Pizzas
4 large portabella mushrooms
4 TBS pizza sauce (optional)
1/2 tomato, chopped
1/4 bell pepper, chopped
1/4 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves
2 cups low fat mozarella cheese
pepperoni

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Scoop tines out of the inside of the mushrooms.  Flip mushrooms upside down and put them on a wire rack placed on a baking sheet.  Spread 1 TBS of pizza sauce on the inside of each mushroom.  This step is optional, I don't think you'd miss the pizza sauce, if you omitted it.  I think I will get rid of it next time, just to eliminate the use of a processed food from the recipe!  Now, you can add the onions, peppers and garlic directly to the pizzas, or you can cook them first.  Personally,  I prefer them slightly cooked.  So I added the peppers, onion and garlic to a small skillet and browned them for about 10 minutes.  Then I added the tomatoes to the mixture, stirred then placed them on the mushrooms.  Add 1/4 - 1/2 cup of cheese on top of each.  I put a few pepperoni's on each and popped them into the oven.  You could easily omit the pepperoni's to make it a meatless meal, and you wouldn't miss it.  Bake for about 20-30 minutes.  The mushrooms will get "juicy", which is why I put them up on the rack to keep them from getting soggy.  Basically, cook through until everything is warmed and cheese is melty.
Why I loved this:  Super tasty and gave us a good dose of veggies.  The husband absolutely raved about it, and his was reheated in the microwave, since he was gone at dinnertime.  Unfortunately, due to the high-veggie-factor, I couldn't even get the kids to try it.  I'm not sure they would have liked it anyways.  But I thought it was great and the prep was really easy, so this would be a good busy night meal!

And that is all!  I hope everyone enjoys their holiday weekend and stay safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment